Monday, October 5, 2009

Just Thoughts for the Day

Some of you know and some of you don't that I'm not preaching one sermon this month. I've been reminded that I haven't used my vacation so I'm taking a couple weeks off this month. And so you ask, "What about the other two Sundays?"

Good point. I'm going to be at Great Plains Presbyterian Pilgrimage serving this time as the Head Spiritual Advisor. So, yes, I will be speaking there but I don't have anything written yet. That's one Sunday.

The other Sunday we are going to be blessed with a musical Message by Simply Voices from the Mt. Ayr UMC. My youngest sister is part of this group of 10 women and though I haven't heard them sing I know they're great. So if you're in Walnut on October 11th at 9 a.m. stop in at First Pres for a wonderful message.

I do have some thoughts even if I'm not in the pulpit this month. The lectionary is guiding us to read and contemplate Job. I listened to Pastor Nancy talk about faith and suffering yesterday and was reminded how much we think that God's evidence of love towards us when we receive blessings, you know, the good things in life.

But God doesn't always keep us from experiencing suffering. Sometimes we get splinters under our fingernails and we cry out to God, "Why?" And he may answer with another splinter.

So, I would ask you to read Job this month and contemplate on its message to us today. How does it speak to you? What do you think about the suffering and violence that we experience in our lives? Why does God allow these things to happen?

I'm curious about your answer. Let me know in the comments.

Have a blessed week. God loves you and so do I.

PS. GPPP #6 is October 15-18 and I still have registrations at church.

No comments:

Post a Comment