Tuesday, November 27, 2012

For, Behold, the Day Cometh

I didn't write a sermon for last Sunday, which felt a little strange to me. Instead I presented the story from Walter Wangerin, Jr.'s book, "The Manger Is Empty."  I pulled up a chair and made myself comfortable and proceeded to relate the story of Christ's coming again as told by Mr. Wangerin. The service went 20 minutes over but, to my surprise, no one got up and left.

The reason I chose this story, this is a God thing, is that earlier a church member had left me a book, "My Time in Heaven" by Richard Sigmund. It's about his experience of dying and coming back. You know it's all about his remembrances of heaven, God, Jesus, the Holy Spirit, angels, and friends and acquaintances who've gone on ahead. And so, I shared this story about Christ coming again, and the anticipation of a close friend, Jesus, coming just for us.

Isn't that what Advent is all about? Isn't it a reminder for us of what we are waiting, hoping, and anticipating will happen...maybe in our lifetime.

So, if you can find it, this book is a good read for us in the season of Advent.

May God's grace, peace, and joy fill you with anticipation this Advent season.

No comments:

Post a Comment