Sunday, October 16, 2011

Who Knows You? Who Knows God?

Who knows you? I mean who really knows you? Is it your Mom or Dad who know you? Does your best friend forever really know you? Does your spouse really knows you? Who is it who really knows you? Who really knows what makes you you?

I guess if I wanted to get to know someone first I'd want to talk with them. I'd want to discover where they came from, maybe hear a little bit about their family and what it was like for them growing up. I'd probably ask what they do for a living and/or what they enjoy doing in their free time. If they were new to the town of Walnut I'd invite them to worship with us. Then they'd have a chance to get to know us.

So, back to the original question. Who really knows you? Does anyone really know anyone? Another question could be, “Do you know yourself?” Does anyone really know you? How do we get to know someone or something?

The Scripture readings today from Exodus and 1 Thessalonians talk of God knowing Moses and of God knowing the Thessalonians since Paul said he, God, chose them.

I may have given the answer away. If God knew Moses and the Thessalonians then surely God must know us. Doesn't that make sense?

So, maybe the question should have been, “Who knows us best?” And the obvious answer would have to be God.

Now, lets turn the question around. Who knows God; really knows God? Sunday school teachers, because they have to know about God so they can teach the children. Surely they know God. No.

Well then it must be the elders because they were chosen for their wisdom and maturity of faith, and their skills in leadership and their compassionate spirits. At least that's what the Book of Order says, so they must know God. Right? No.

Well if its not the Sunday school teachers or the elders then who does know God, the pastors? Surely those who read and study the God's Scriptures must know God, right?

Well, some might believe that they know God and I would agree that many know quite a lot about God but very few really know God. I know I don't know God well enough.

I do believe he knows me and you and you and you... So what's the point, if God knows us is it important that we know God? Why do we care whether we know anyone or whether we know God? Is it imperative for you to know me or for me to know you or for either of us to know God. We've already said that He knows us, isn't that enough?

I'm not sure if I've got this right because it's something that came to me yesterday as I was reading. We can't know God face to face so the only other way we can know him is...I wonder if anyone has the answer already...in community.

I say that because we are all created in the image of God and...we are filled with God's Spirit...and his words are written on our hearts...so, if we begin to know each other in community doesn't it make sense that through that process we begin to know God.

Does that make sense? As we know each other we come to know God. Now we all know that we're not perfect but taking that into account as we live together in God's grace doing our best to live and serve and love as Jesus showed us then don't we begin to be aware of God's presence in each other? As we look into the eyes of those folks whom we serve and worship with isn't it possible to see Jesus and know our God​?

That's my Message for you this week. It's now up to you to test it out and see if it's true. Friends, God leaves the rest up to us to choose how we live and serve him. We have a decision to make. Do we accept Jesus as God's Son? Will we let him into our hearts and will we give him all we are and have so others may know Him? The choice is ours to make.

Friends, I believe I know God a little better by being here this morning with you and I pray that you may know Him better by worshiping here with me.

Thanks be to God for his grace. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment