Sunday, December 14, 2008

Lost

Help! I’m lost and can’t find my way! Is there anyone here who can tell me how to get there from here? Does anybody here have a map or one of those “never lost” things on their cell phone? I mean it. I’m lost and don’t know which way to turn. Is there anyone here who can help me?
I don’t know what I’m going to do. If I don’t get some help soon I’m going to miss my appointment with the One who is supposed to be coming soon. Surely there’s someone here who knows the Way. Are you all as lost as I am?
Oh, God, what am I going to do? What if you come now and I’m not prepared?
I knew I shouldn’t have taken that left turn back there. I should have known that I couldn’t trust those people in the last town. They just didn’t look like they knew enough to come in out of the rain let alone know the Way. But I was desperate and I would have taken almost any route to get to where I need to be. Surely there’s someone here who has heard the voice of the one crying in the wilderness and knows where I should go.
How about you? Do you know the Way? What about you? Can you help me? Doesn’t anyone here know the Way?
Things just aren’t the way they used to be. It used to be that you could always count on someone to have the answer; there was always someone to tell you the way you had to go to get there. Where have all those people gone? Don’t they realize that we haven’t all got the Message yet? What am I going to do?
I’ve always thought I had all my ducks in a row. I always figured I was prepared for anything but I never believed that it would be so hard to find my Way to the light. If only I hadn’t listened to those folks in that last town. They really led me astray. I shouldn’t have been so gullible. I should have remembered what Paul said, “Check out everything, and keep only what's good. Throw out anything tainted with evil.” Why didn’t I think of that then?
Man I hate getting old. When I was younger I had all the answers. Now, I just don’t know anymore. I thought we were supposed to get wiser as we got older. It seems like I have more questions today than ever. I keep getting lost. I just can’t seem to find my Way to the light. Don’t any of you know the Way?
I should have paid more attention to my teachers at Silver Creek Church. They knew the Way. In fact some of them sat down and made sure I understood the directions. What did I do with that paper? You’d think I would’ve kept something that important some place where I’d be sure to find it when I really needed it.
Oh, why didn’t I listen to Grandma when she tried to show me the Way? I’ll bet if she were here she’d have the directions in her apron pocket.
Oh, what am I going to do? I’m so lost. I’m never going to find my Way to the Light. Isn’t there anyone here who cares whether I find my Way?
There’s so much apathy in the world today. Everyone’s afraid to lend a hand for fear they’ll be sued if they give the wrong directions and someone gets hurt. Oh, how I miss the good old days, back when you could get a ride just by standing on the side of road and putting your thumb in the air. Now those were the days. If you were lost then you could always find somebody to get you home to the Light, not today. No sir. Everybody’s a little gun shy.
I don’t know what I’m going to do. Wait a minute. Someone’s left a book here in the pew. The title on the cover is “The Message.” Do you think it might have the answers I need? Maybe it knows how to get to the Light.
But how will I know where to look? It looks like a pretty big book. Man, I sure wish there were someone who could show me where to start. That’s all I need. I’m a smart guy. I know I could figure it out if someone would just get me started on the right path.
Well maybe if I just put my trust in whoever’s in charge of this whole thing called Life; maybe they’ll just let this book fall open to the right spot. Should I try that? What do you think?
Wait a minute. How did you all find your Way here? Are you lost too? Well, maybe we could work together to solve this problem. I think our time is getting short. I wish I would have started sooner.
I had a plan once. But somehow along the way I got sidetracked. I thought I knew a better way. Boy was I wrong.
You know those Boy Scouts were right when they said, “Be Prepared.” I never knew it was that important. I just didn’t understand what my purpose in Life was.
Last week I heard that He was coming and I’d better not wait to get ready. I’m still not ready and I heard he could be coming any day.
I think my plan will be to pick up that book called “The Message” and start reading it to see if it has the answer so I can find the Way and be prepared. It sure would be nice if someone would help me.
Are you sure you don’t know where I can start? Would you help me find my way to the Light?
Friends, do you think we’re all prepared? Do you believe everyone knows the way to the Light? If you truly believe God has called us here for a purpose and he hasn’t called us home yet, then I believe we’d better be doing what God has called us to do. Make sure everyone hears the Good News and can find their way to the Light. We each can be the voice calling from the wilderness. Make smooth the way of the Lord.
Thanks be to God for his gracious love for all his children. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment